Red whelps spreading on stomach, itchy and hard. Is it some allergy?

I have red whelps on my stomach and they seem to be spreading. They are itchy and very hard. They seem to be spreading from my stomach to other parts of my body. Legs and arm pits, etc.

At first I thought they were spider bites when I woke up from them.
Posted Mon, 18 Jun 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 7 hours later

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

What you have sounds like urticaria, or hives--that which you are calling whelps.

It might be due to an allergic reaction to some substance, which causes the release of histamine. This causes itching, swelling, and other symptoms.

It can be diagnosed by examination, it will be nice if you had mentioned about any history of allergy, that will be useful in diagnosing. Skin or blood tests are done to confirm that you had an allergic reaction and to test for the substance that caused the allergic response.

It will be great if you mention the duration of the symptom, any history of allergy. Insect bite can be responsible for this but less likely.

I advice you to wait and watch, treatment may not be needed if the symptoms are mild. They may disappear on their own.

To reduce itching and swelling -
1)avoid hot baths or showers.
2)Avoid irritating the area with tight-fitting clothing
3)Take over the counter drugs like antihistamines.

If after 3 to 4 days if it persists or it spreads rapidly i advice you to see dermatologist for examination and further treatment.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer