Red thickened blood in urine and blood in stool, stomach bloating, gained weight. Is this abnormal?

Question
For 3 days I've had red blood and thickened dark blood in my urine and red blood in my stool. I've had bloating and stomach weight gain for apx 3 months. I am 64 years old. Is this serious?
Posted Sat, 9 Jun 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 42 minutes later

Blood in both urine and stool at a time is uncommon.

Yes, it could be serious. Either two different pathologies or a same pathology can cause blood in both urine and stool.

Detailed examination and needed investigations including urine and stool microscopy has to be done.

Since you give an history of weight gain the chances of it being cancer are less.But a thorough evaluation has to be done on this.Do consult a General physician who can screen you and further refer to a specialist.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Wish you good health.