Ask a Dentist   »  

Red, swollen and sore wrists, taking Prednisone, have high BP, borderline diabetes, myocardial infarction. Help

My father has been suffering from frequent gout attacks for years..they're only getting worse. He has abstained from purine XXXXXXX foods yet his wrist is red, swollen and sore to the touch...usually it is his big toe. He is at his wits end and has benn surfing the net lately, He found that XXXXXXX Cider Vinegar, Blueberries, Cherries and Strawberries can help eliviate the excruciating pain. He is taking Prednisone as he can't have NSAIDS. He also is being treated for high blood pressure. He has been told he is on the borderline for developing diabetes and has been diagnosed with Myocardial infarction...for which he takes blood thinners. For gout he was prescribed Alpurinol. The gout is ruining his life and his doctors don't seem to care! How can I help him help himself? BTW His younger sister passed from a form of Dermatomyositis & Polymyositis...would have to get the exact name...
Posted Sat, 28 Jul 2012 in TMJ
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 27 minutes later

The medication Allopurinol he is on is specific for the problem.This will surely put an hold to the main disease process.

Most of times rather than the disease its the pain in the joints which is more annoying and hard to treat.NSAIDS are the best and reliable remedies as they reduce the pain very quickly though response is short lasting the effect is very good.

Since he cannot take NSAIDS and on Steroids which also is a best remedy but does take time may be in weeks or even months in some severe cases to reach a level where the inflammation process is halted and pain reduced.

Yes, he is right in considering the citrous fruits like Berries, and cherries to help him in the problem.It could be a safe remedy he can go for.

Hope I answered your query,do come up with follow ups if any.

Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Red, swollen and sore wrists, taking Prednisone, have high BP, borderline diabetes, myocardial infarction. Help 1 hour later
Could sleep apnea be a culprit? My father snores very loud and I have witnessed him pause his breathing while sleeping. His gout diagnosis was made based on symptoms and blood tests. He has never had the joint fluid tested. I am concerned that he is doing everything he was asked to do to help prevent an attack and yet he is suffering constantly! He often is tired during the day and has no energy...should sleep apnea be investigated?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 20 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

I do not consider that the sleep apnoea he has have any connection with his joint problem.The underlying pathology or the complications are entirely different.

Yes, I would say it is essential for him to be evaluated for the sleep apnoea.Sleep apnoea can indirectly worsen any disease by causing sleep deprivation and subsequent stress.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.