Red spot on armpit, pain, no sign of insect bite

I am 67, and was working in my yard for 2 days. When finished 5 days ago, I noticed a red spot with a welt under it at the side of my armpit . It has grown to marble sized; and today, a small red spot has appeared next to it. No symptoms-- just pain when it touches aginst other skin. Keeping my arm away from my body avoids any friction and any pain.
When I raise my arm high, that stretches the area and causes some pain. All this on outside edge of armpit and under a tendom. No signs of insect bite.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 2 hours later

Thanks for you query.

From your history and its typical location and symptoms, I can think of only one condition which explains all your symptoms.

But, as I cannot examine you I cannot tell you that is for sure the diagnosis.

It is called "Hidradenitis Suppurativa"

It's basically caused to due to blockade of the apocrine sweat gland ducts, the secretions inside them accumulates therefore increase in size which may get infected causing your symtoms.

Its typical locations are axilla (arm pits) and ano-genital region. Initial symptoms are very tender, red inflammatory nodule/abscess. Many patients have only mild involvement with recurrent, self-healing, tender red nodules and do not seek therapy.

Medical Management:
Acute Painful Lesions
1. Nodule - Intralesional triamcinolone.
2. Oral antibiotics - To treat infection.

Surgical Management:
Incise and drain acute abscesses.

I suggest you see a dermatologist who will examine you and confirm the diagnosis after which the treatment would be started.

I hope my answer has been adequate and informative. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.