Red spot appeared below knee. No pain, itch or burn. What could this be?

My 14 year old daughter has a red spot on her leg just below the knee on the inner side. It looks almost like a "hickey". It has been there for several months and appears to be getting larger. It has no texture and doesn't hurt, itch or burn. What could this be?
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 26 minutes later

Thanks for sharing your query with us.

I will try answering your question to the best of my knowledge.

From what you describe, It might be a simple bruise, a vascular malformation or any lesion of vascular origin, like birth XXXXXXX Several birth marks may present during adolescence.

I will be able to help you more if you can share a picture ( of good resolution)with us. Please let me know something more about the history like size, the exact duration and if you have noticed any color changes in the lesion.

You can upload pictures with this query, or if there is a problem, you can send them to YYYY@YYYY

I will be happy to answer you follow-up question.

Wish your daughter good health.
Dr.Tanushree Biswas
Follow-up: Red spot appeared below knee. No pain, itch or burn. What could this be? 16 minutes later
It has been present for several months. It started out about quarter size and is now about half dollar size. There has been no change in color or texture.

Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 1 hour later

Thanks for following up.

I have gone through you history and the picture sent.

The picture as well as the history points towards a Nevus (birth mark) of vascular origin. It might be present from sometime after birth and now visible due to the growth of body and the skin. Several birth marks present similarly and catch attention only when they grow in size.

There is nothing to worry about the same .Most of them grow for some time and then become stable. Usually no treatment is necessary.

For the confirmation of diagnosis, you can visit a dermatologist who can examine it closely with a Dermatoscope and suggest you if any treatments are required. Generally, these types of lesions do not cause any discomfort and people seek treatment only due to cosmetic reasons. Treatment options include laser treatments to fade the lesion.

I will be happy to help you in case you have any further questions.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wish your daughter good health.