Red sore lump on child's neck. Why is the color darkening? Due to cold?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Persistent red lump on child's neck, help?!

My son complained of a sore area on his neck about four weeks ago, I examined the area - right side of his neck about 1/3-1/2 the way up and found as all hardish lump about the size of a lentil. I looked closely and noticed it was red so dismissed it as a pimple. My son said it hurt.

Tonight, I noticed it is still there!! The same size, a darker colour than the surrounding skin but I wouldn't say angry red. My sin says it no longer hurts.

I am freaking out!! My son is 11. He had a cold for a few days about two weeks ago.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Blood Cancer(Leukemia)
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
A knot on the side of the neck of an eleven year old can be due to multiple reasons.Children have so many infections - usually upper respiratory tract infections - that their neck glands can seem swollen a lot of the time. Once your child gets over the infection, the glands become smaller and less tender.
Lymph nodes that are less than 1 cm in diameter are usually not a problem, even if they stay for longer than 3 months.
If the swelling is not associated with persistent fever, weight loss or loss of appetite, cough, etc then it should not be worrisome.
You can consult his pediatrician as physical examination of the lymph nodes and lab investigation are needed to confirm and rule out persisting infection and other causes.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.