Red, shiny and raised spots on scrotum and penis. Not painful and no blistering. Concerned about herpes.

Hi. Recently (past week and a half) I have had 2 small red spots appear on my scrotum and base (underside of my penis). They are slightly raised and seem very shiny. I am concerned with herpes, but none of the spots have had any blistering or opened up. They seem slightly sensitive, but no pain. Do you have any idea of what this may be? I have pics also if you need them. Thanks
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Follow-up: Red, shiny and raised spots on scrotum and penis. Not painful and no blistering. Concerned about herpes. 57 minutes later
Also, the area on the penis will lightly flake up and peel away every 1-2 days or so; but the redness will not go away after this occurs. The spot on my scrotum has yet to flake over... that I've noticed.
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 6 hours later

Thanks for the query and for the pics (They help a lot in making a diagnosis).

This does not look like herpes.

It might most probably be allergic skin rash which we call nummular dermatitis. The allergy can be due to anything- soap, antispetic, latex etc.

You could use a mild steroid cream like Mometasone twice daily for 7 days and take an anti allergic tablet like Fexofenadine 180 mg once daily after consulting physician. Use a mild soap and water for cleansing the area. Do not apply any antiseptics and wear cotton undergarments.

Revert back after 3-4 days of treatment. I hope you will be fine.

Hope i have answered your query.

I will be available for any further queries .