Red rash in armpit and behind ear, itches and peels; also developed swollen glands, sore throat and fatigue

Hi. I've been experiencing a strange skin rash. I have a red patch in one armpit that I thought was a group of ingrown hairs, but it isn't. It's red and flat. It crusts over with a very thin, paper-like layer of skin. It itches and peels and then crusts again. What could this be? How can I remedy this? I feel I should also mention the following: prior to this, the nsides of my nostrils had been peeling for over a week. I've just found a patch of skin, similar to the one in my armpit, in my groin area. Also, I just found a spot behind my ear that peeled. The skin is scaly, like the rest. Help! I' ve also just developed swollen glands, a sore throat, and fatigue.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 10 hours later

I understand your health concern.

As of now, the whole problem may be due to Seborrhoeic dermatitis. In my opinion you may be benefitted with a course of anti fungals agents like Azoles E.g: Flucanazole (if not allergic to). I am not sure if this is an over the counter medicine in your country. You may approach the Pharmacist at the local pharmacy who can guide you.

Levo Cetirizine preparation is available over the counter in most countries. You can take 5mg, one tablet a day before bed for two weeks (if not allergic to). If not an OTC, you require a prescription of this drug.

If you have history of sexual exposures then with a history of sore throat and swollen glands you may need to undergo tests to rule out all sexual transmitted infections including HIV.

It would be helpful to guide you, if you send a picture of the lesion. You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

You can XXXXXXX a Dermatologist in your area for confirmed diagnosis and treatment.

Prasad PVS, MD