Red rash behing ears and neck, spot on chin. What can be the cause?

ENT Specialist
my 7yr old son has a red rash behind both ears on his neck, front of neck and a small
Spot on his chin. He has a temp of 100.1. This began yesterday and has had very
Little changes. What can be the cause and should he go to the doctor?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. First of all, I would recommend an immediate visit to your doctor to rule out Scarlet Fever, especially if the rash is spreading and he has a very red tongue (Strawberry Tongue). The rash may also turn out to be a sunburn.

2. Scarlet Fever occurs as a result of Streptococcal infection and is easily treated. Early treatment avoids a host of potentially severe complications.

3. A throat swab, blood tests and antibiotics may be required in addition to supportive therapy even if the fever subsides. Kindly let me know his progress.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.