Red rash appeared on hand after abortion. Tested reactive on rubella IGG, non reactive on rubella IGM. Worried

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2012
Jul 2012

Dermatologist
Question
Doctor i have been having red rashes on the right hand fingers alone . This has been continuing over past 3 months . My Pregnancy has got terminated 3 weeks back and tested reactive on Rubella IGG but non reactive on Rubella IGM .I would like to know if these rashes have any significance with regards to Rubella and whether the Virus is still present in me . Also would like to know if the rashes in the nature of rubella would be transferred to another person . A lot Worried as i have a 2 year old son to care for.
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2013 in Skin Rash

Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 2 hours later
Hi there.
The rash of rubella typically does not present only on one hand or unilateral & is more a diffuse maculopapular or fleeting sort with retroauricular lymph node enlargement et al. Your rash appears unrelated.
However the presence of IgG positivity to rubella indicates an older infection as opposed to IgM positivity & yes the virus may still be lingering on in your system. While it may not be highly contagious, yes it can be transferred but more likely via the blood stream & /or sex...so ur 2 yr old seems safe! Trust this will have allayed your fears!
Good Luck & Godspeed.
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD

Follow-up: Red rash appeared on hand after abortion. Tested reactive on rubella IGG, non reactive on rubella IGM. Worried 12 hours later
Thank you very much for your reply . I had an review with me Gync yesterday and she put me on T. Aciclovir -200 mg for 5 days for Rubella . I had also explained about the rash and she did take a look . She had asked me to consult a Dermatologist to rule out psoriasis . is it something to worry about ?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 3 hours later
Hi there.
Nope i dont think it is something to worry about.
perhaps a skin biopsy may be in order.
Good Luck & Godspeed..do visit a dermatologist near you for the biopsy cum opinion. Cheers!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD