Red patches, yellow crust. Ringworm?

I have oval shaped red patches on my stomach and near the top of my thighs. They do not itch. I thought they were ringworm but seem to be this fungus. One patch is developing a yellow crust in the center after using ringworm medication.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Radhika 6 hours later
Thanks for the query,

The oval shaped red patches near the stomach and thighs most probably seem to be ring worm.
They are normally seen as round or oval red scaly patches with pink scaly borders, often less red and scaly in the middle or healed in the middle(just as you described it). It often contains fluid or pus, but may be dry and scaly or moist and crusted. The lesion tends to heal centrally and sometimes one ring arises inside another older ring. In acute cases the rash is itchy.
Ringworm is very contagious and it can spread by touching an affected person or animals like cats and dogs.The best thing is to keep yourself clean by washing the hands and face when you go public places and play with stray cats and dogs.Sharing towels, clothing and other personal things with others is not a good idea.
A physical examination of the affected skin, evaluation of skin scrapings under the microscope, and culture tests can help doctors make the appropriate distinctions
You can apply over-the-counter antifungal or drying powders, lotions, or creams,those which contain miconazole, clotrimazole, or similar ingredients are often effective.
Wash sheets and nightclothes every day while infected.
A severe or persistent infection may require treatment by a doctor.

Hope my answer is adequate,I am available for follow up should you have any more concerns.
Follow-up: Red patches, yellow crust. Ringworm? 10 hours later
I thought it was ringworm because all my dogs had this last year. My husband got a mild case but since I am the one that generally takes care of the household pets I was constantly exposed. I began Lomotrin along with natural antibiotic for fungul infections. One of the oval shapes now is developing a brownish crusty patch in the inner circle. They have never itched nor had any type of crusty outside edges as normal ringworm so could ringworm appear differently on individuals?
Answered by Dr. Radhika 20 hours later

Thanks again for the query,

I have gone through your mail and it would be more helpful if you could send me a photo of the skin lesion to YYYY@YYYY addressing it as ATTN: Dr.Radhika.

Yes it can appear differently in some individuals, development of brown crust in inner circle is seen in ring worm lesions. Itching is not necessarily be present with ring worm infections. You can use Lamisil AT cream if you are not satisfied with Lotrimin.

Hope my answer is adequate, I am available for followup should you have anymore concern.