Red patch with white center on limbs, spreading to back and face, no fluid, heals after peeling

I have a rash that starts out as red patch with very small white part (almost like a single hair follacle) in the middle, which spreads. It resembles a blister that has no fluid. The blistered skin peels and it then heals. It seems like it lifts several layers of skin. It started on my legs and arms, but I have these patches on my face and back. At times I have no rash, other times I have multple spots.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 7 hours later

You have provided with good information but I would like to know a few more things as this would help me in suggesting you better. I believe the more information a person gives the better is the doctor's reply and thus improve satisfaction levels. Hence please answer the following…

1. How long has the rash been there?

2. How long does it take for the individual rash to heal?

3. Do the rashes heal with a black mark?

4. Is the rash itchy or painful?

5. Are you suffering from any medical illness?

6. May I know your age?

7. Are you on any medication?

It will also be helpful if you can attach a pic of the rash in the space provided on the right side of the query page.

As of now, with the description given by you, it seems to be a Vasculitic process.

Looking forward to hearing from you again.

Follow-up: Red patch with white center on limbs, spreading to back and face, no fluid, heals after peeling 6 days later
The rash has been on and off for the last year or so. It takes 3 to 4 weeks fo r the rash to heal. No black marks. Rash is itchy at first and there is a little pain when the layers peel. I have thyroid disease, asthma, hypertension and migraines and my currently 56 years old. I currently take Synthroid, Singular, Celexa, Ambien and propranolol. I dont't currently have a pic of the rash.
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 16 hours later
Thanks for your reply.

It does seem to be small vessel vasculitis.

It is best to see a dermatologist personally for a proper diagnosis. This condition requires a biopsy for confirmation and a few blood tests as well.

As of now you may apply a mild steroid cream like Betamethasone twice daily on the rashes.