Red particles in stools. Had light diarrhea, passed blood. Should I express concern?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
I have what looks like red beans in my stool? What could that be? Just noticed it today. But have had light diareaha the past two days and passed a little bit of blood yesterday. Called my doctor and the nurse there said it was nothing to worry about unless it persists. I haven't passed blood today but did notice the bean looking things today. Please help.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 8 hours later
Hi

As you have mentioned you had frequency of stool before the incident

Is there any history of consumption of contaminated liquids or foods?
Are you a known to have acid peptic disease?

The best thing I would suggest is get a stool examination done and if there are pus cells get a culture report also done.

Get back with these details and I will help you out

Get well soon

Follow-up: Red particles in stools. Had light diarrhea, passed blood. Should I express concern? 6 hours later
No acid peptic disease. I have no abdominal pain whatsoever. As far as contaminated food or liquids, I don't know, that could be possible.

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 5 hours later
Hi

Thanks for posting your query

From your history it appears you are suffering from collitis

Give yourself a trial of Ofloxacin and Ornidazole Twice a day for seven days , add a good prebiotic

If it doesnot respond get a stool examination done

Hope all clear, If there are no further queries do accept our response

Get Well Soon

Follow-up: Red particles in stools. Had light diarrhea, passed blood. Should I express concern? 3 hours later
Thanks, it's already seemed to have gotten way better today! Thanks.

Hi

Thanks for getting back.
I am glad that you have improved and this was something we’d normally expect. However, I suggest that you continue with 5 to 7 days of medication that I have prescribed which would help avoid a recurrence.
I hope I have answered all your queries. If you do not have any further questions, please accept my answer. However, I shall be available for follow ups.
Get Well Soon