Ask a Urologist   »  

Red mucous membrane around shaft of penis, skin peeling off on penis head, STD tests -ve, taken nystatin for yeast infection. Advise?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
AROUND THE SHAFT OF MY PENIS IS SOMEWHAT MUCUSEY AND SLIGHTLY RED/RAW. ALSO THE HEAD HAD OCCASSIONALLY THIN AREAS WHERE I COULD PEEL OFF A THIN LAYER OF SKIN IN THE SME THREE SEPARATE AREAS ON THE HEAD OF MY PENIS.. .SIMILAR TO THE RESULTS OF A SUN BURN. I HAD BLOOD WORK DONE AND NOTHING CAME BACK INDICATING STD'S. ALSO SAW A DERMOTOLOGIST WHO THOUGHT I HAD A YEAST INFECTION AND PRESCRIBED NYSTATIN THAT SEENS TO TEMPORARILY HEAL EVERYTHING BUT IT KEEPS COMING BACK.
THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR A YEAR NOW. WHAT DO YOU THINK AND WHAT SPECIALIST SEE I SEE?
WORRIED
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Recurrent fungal infections are common in an HIV infected individual. If proper treatment is not taken, the infection keeps on recurring.
Sometimes application of one topical antifungal like nystatin is not sufficient and a combination of two and more antifungals along with oral antibiotics are needed for complete cure.
One has to continue treatment for 2 weeks after the complete recovery.
The other causes for persistence are leaving the treatment in between, treatment resistance (when one drug is being used), co-existing dermatitis, diabetes and low immunity, etc. All these factors also need to be taken care of.
I advise you to visit your dermatologist again for a comprehensive treatment after investigations like swab culture.
In the meantime, I recommend you to use general cleanliness measures to avoid any infection in that area. Avoid scratching or handling the region with barefingers.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.