Red marks on back after massage, rubbed off. Would I have felt the poke if I had been poked with a needle with HIV blood?

Pediatrician
Question
HI I RECENTLY VISITED A MASSAGE PARLOUR.ALL WENT WELL UNTIL I WENT HOME AND WAS CHECKING MY BACK IN THE MIRROR.I NOTICED SOME RED DRY DIRT ON THE TOP OF MY UPPER BACK.SINCE THE POSITION WAS SO AWKWARD I COULD NOT TELL IF IT WAS BLOOD OR MAYBE SOME DIRT OR RED CORRON FIBRES.I JUST RUBBRD IT OUT AND IT CAME OUT. MY QUESTION IS WHAT IF THE MASSEUSE POKED ME WITH A NEEDLE OR PIN WITH HIV BLOOD ON IT .WOULD I HAVE FELT THE POKE.?AT THE TIME OF MY MASSAGE I FELT NO POKE OR PRICK. KINDLY REPLY SOONEST AS I AM WORRIED.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 2 hours later

Thanks for the query,

I understand you are worried about contracting HIV now. Let me try in helping you alleviate your fears.

Did you ascertain if what rubbed off your back was blood or not? I feel it might have been some cream or product left behind inadvertently.

HIV transmission is less likely when needle pricks are minor. It is a XXXXXXX seated injections or intravenous injections that are associated with high risk of transmission. And such XXXXXXX seated injections or intravenous administration can be easily felt by some one unless one is unconscious. So considering the below facts:
1.     You are not certain if it was indeed blood and not any other product.
2.     I do not see any reason why the masseur could have pricked you.
3.     Even if she has poked you, she would use sterilised or new needles, and not those that are unsterilised or infected, wouldn't she?
4.     If there was a prick indeed, since you didn’t feel a prick, it is unlikely to cause harm.

Hence, stop worrying.

If the anxiety doesn't leave you, you could go to a doctor to order tests for HIV. You could order these test after 2-4 weeks and repeat the test after 3 months. The results of these tests will clear all your doubts beyond doubts.

Hope this helps. Should you have any additional concerns, I will be available to address you.

-Dr. Taher Kagalwala

Follow-up: Red marks on back after massage, rubbed off. Would I have felt the poke if I had been poked with a needle with HIV blood? 1 hour later
Thanx for your soothing answer

Its was a dry massage with no cream or oil.

Just want to double confirm if someone poked me XXXXXXX in the
Skin were hiv can occour will I feel the prick or the pain.

Many thanks

Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 10 minutes later
Hello again,

Thanks for writing back.

If someone poked you XXXXXXX enough to cause blood to come out, sure, you will feel the prick ... unless you are not fully conscious.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no additional concerns.

Regards.

-Dr. Taher Kagalwala