Red lump on upper thigh, painful to touch, filled with fluid, black mark on lump

Dermatologist
Question
Red lump on upper thigh
=================
I have a red lump that has developed on my upper thigh. Its diameter is about the size of a dime, facing toward the opposite thigh and located about 4 inches below the crease of the groin. It developed fairly quickly (over the last two days.) There are striated red marks (look like stretch marks) radiating from each end of the lump and it is slightly painful to the touch. The texture feels like a top bubble of fluid, with something firmer (but still distinct from the skin) underneath. The color is bright red around the outside, but dark red/gray in the center.

There is a small black XXXXXXX (possibly a clot from a puncture?) at one end of the lump, which makes me think this might be an insect bite. It's not like any bites I've had before, though, which is why I'm hoping you can help clarify whether this needs further investigation.

I've posted pictures that may help:

WWW.WWWW.WW
WWW.WWWW.WW
WWW.WWWW.WW
WWW.WWWW.WW
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I must thank you for providing an excellent description of your symptoms.
The history is suggestive of either a thrombophlebitis or spider angioma. However, the pictures point more towards the diagnosis of thrombophlebitis.
Thrombophlebitis is an inflammation of the superficial veins. This can either occur spontaneously or in certain medical or surgical conditions. This condition is usually treated with medications (NSAIDs) and warm compresses. Tablet Motrin taken every 4-6 hours, with food should help.
However, on certain occasions (when evidence of infection is present), antibiotics are also needed.
This usually becomes ok in 10-14 days.
I suggest you to see your proper examination and diagnosis. As the need for antibiotics needs to be assessed and the possibility of XXXXXXX venous thrombosis also needs to be ruled out, it would be best if you see your GP.
At present, there is nothing to worry about. See your physician and you should be fine soon.
I hope I have addressed your concerns. Should you have any other questions, please feel free to ask me.

Thanks