Red, itchy scrotum, thick plastic texture. Causes?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My scrotum is red and itchy and has a thick shiny almost plastic texture
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Red and itchy scrotum can be due to skin conditions like dermatitis, allergy or infection.
Possibility of STD can also be there.
If the scrotum is sore, itchy, associated with pain and burning during urination and has any discharge then it can be indicative of any infection and requires evaluation.
Sometimes just itching can also be due to fungal infection and requires antifungal creams as Cotrimazole.
Some measures for you:
1)Apply icepack on the area and then observe for any changes.
2)Apply calamine lotion for relief from itching.
3)Keep the area dry and apply Neosporin powder along with an antifungal cream like Lotrimin.

If the symptoms persist or associated with discharge etc then consider visiting your Healthcare Professional for evaluation.

I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.