Red itchy bumps with white spots

Question
I HAVE BEEN GETTING RED BUMPS ON MY HANDS AND FOREARM FOR ABOUT 4 DAYS NOW THEY WILL APPEAR AND ITCH FOR ABOUT 20-30 MINS AND THEN DISSAPPEAR LIKE NOTHING WAS EVER THERE THEYLOOK LIKE SOMEKIND OF RASH IF I DONT ITCH THEM BUT WHEN I DO THEY RAISE LIKE AND LOOK LIKE A MIQUITO BITE. SOME HAVE LITTLE WITE SPOTS IN THE MIDDLE OF THEM. IT SEEMS LIKE THEY APPEAR WHEN I AM EITHER REALLY COLD OR HOT
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 3 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for posting your query. One possibility for such itchy rashes which appear all of a sudden and then disappear after 20-30 min after itching is hives or urticaria. Hives have a tendency to change size rapidly and to move around, disappearing in one place and reappearing in same or other places after some time. They are mostly in response to allergens in the environment but can also occur to hot and cold conditions.

The standard treatment of hives is oral antihistaminics and topical steroids. Oral antihistaminics relieve itching and you can get them over the counter but some of them may cause drowsiness and hence should be taken under a medical guidance. Topical steroids is available by prescription from a dermatologist.

In addition you can apply calamine lotion which will help in soothing the skin and take some vitamin C which is a general anti-allergy supplement. It helps stabilize mast cells so they are less likely to release histamine. You can also take a diet XXXXXXX in vitamin C like citrus fruits, oranges, papaya, grapefruit, raspberries, blueberries, cranberries, and pineapple.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.