Red inflamed forearm from elbow to wrist and it is little bit bumpy-rough. Changes to white when touched. Suggest the cure?

Red inflamed forearm from elbow to wrist. Been about 48 hours it's little bit bumpy-rough. No main bump or lump. Like sunburn in that it changes color to white when touched or arm is curled. Seemed to be focused around my primary target vein which is now hard for about 4inches in center of forearm (palm up) Doesn't seem to be getting worse or growing in area/size but it's not getting better either. Tried some compress and heat pad. Not much change. Infrequent heroin user recently began IV after years avoiding that Roa. Been very wary in researching and practicing as much of a correct-safe procedure. Yet this might be in part due to reused (cleaned) dull syringe, partial missed shot and/or speedball mixing cocaine in shot. Superficial Phlebitis? Cellulitius? Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated and welcomed.
Posted Sat, 31 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 1 hour later

I am dr XXXXXXX and I will try my level best to address your concern.

Based from the history it seems like your assumption is most likely diagnosis. It can be phlebitis/ cellulitis.

You will need antibiotics to have it fixed. over the counter antibiotics will not be much of help, you will need either intravenous antibiotics or oral antibiotics to get it fixed. I can't prescribe you medication online due to current regulation. You will need to consult near by physician and ask him/her to have a look at it and if necessary they may ask you to have intravenous antibiotics and if not too serious they may write prescription for oral antibiotics.

It may spread rapidly into blood causing sepsis, I recommend you to take action as soon as possible.

Please feel free to contact me incase of further concern or doubt.

Follow-up: Red inflamed forearm from elbow to wrist and it is little bit bumpy-rough. Changes to white when touched. Suggest the cure? 19 minutes later
As soon as possible as in a trip to the ER? As it hasn't shown any signs of spreading thus far. So as to schedule an appointment to see Dr. tomorrow (12am) now was about to go to bed for the evening.
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 4 minutes later

If you do not have any fever and are confident that its not spreading then its fine you can wait for tomorrow morning but make sure you get thing checked tomorrow.

Thanks again.