Red inflamed bumps on jaw line, itchy and painful. Applying anticort. What could be the reason?

My boyfriend has been complaining of red bumps on his jaw line that look inflamed when his beard starts growing. These bumps are mostly red in colour with symptoms of itchiness and sometimes can be painful. We thought it could be razor bumps, but its always there on his jaw line and worsens when the hair starts to grow back. He has been applying "ANTICORT" to minimise the redness. We would like to know the reasons behind it and the possible meditation. I have attached a photo of his jaw line so as to explain the above.
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Photograph shows that your boy friend is suffering from fungal infection of beard called as TINEA BARBAE.
T. barbae is a superficial fungal infection that is limited to the bearded areas of the face and neck and occurs almost exclusively in older adolescent and adult males. 

Infection often begins on the chin or neck, but in severely affected patients, tinea barbae may cover the entire bearded area of the face and neck.
Local applications are applied but unless and until oral anti fungals are given,condition doesn't resolve.
Moreover you are applying a steroid cream which should be avoided,since infection never clears up and gets flared up.
You may use local CANESTAN cream and take ITRACONAZOLE orally in the dose of 200 mg every day for 4 weeks.
Infection would be totally cleared.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck