Ask a Dentist   »  

Red gums and ulcers around molar teeth. Not cured by medicine. How to get relief?

I am male aged 58. My gum pockets on lower molars at the back of my mouth have been getting redder and redder for some months. The are also ulcers adjoining the red gums. I have been to my dentist and he says it is not an infection. He is also satisfied that it is not cancerous or viral. Redness ids regular at both sides of mouth. Blood tests show up no significant deficiencies.I take zopiclone regularly and until recently had been taking a small dose of amitryptyline for pain in groin. I stopped the latter at the beginning of December but still have the gum problem. The pain is significant. I am to see a periodentist in February. Can i do anything meantime to help.
Posted Sun, 3 Feb 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 10 hours later

I have read your query with diligence. I understand your concerns.

Your dentist is probably right in saying that there is no infection/cancer/viral problem in your gums.

Blood tests are normal. However, the redness, ulcers adjoining the gums, and the pain have remained and significant too.

Considering your age, your medical history and your current picture put together, I do not think there is something alarming here.

It could be just an aphthous ulcer, a setback in your general health status due to stress, ongoing work, etc.

Try taking a multivitamin pill (available over the counter) on a daily basis for next few months with a diet XXXXXXX in fruits and vegetables.

You could try local gels for pain relief such as Dologel, over the affected gums until the time you feel better.

To be cent percent sure of what it is, you will need to go in for a biopsy of the affected gum area, which I do not think is necessary now.

My good thoughts say that you will be fine in a couple of months.

Let me know if you have more concerns.