Red bump developed on neck. Hard to touch. Blood and puss coming out. What should be done?

about six weeks ago my husband developed a small red bump on his neck about the size of a thumb nail it is hard to the touch last night it popped blood and puss came out it is now smaller but still there should we see our family doctor?
Posted Sun, 12 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 3 hours later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing in.
I am a medical specialist with an additional degree in cardiology. I read your mail with diligence.
Yes, specially when you few months. Was it not there few months ago and it has slowly reached its present before bursting small size? Then it burst and its contents were pus and blood. It is not a cause for panic-for it is not a story of cancer- but certainly of concern.
I will show it my doctor, a complete physical examination shall be done. Doctor may decide to do needle aspiration cytology or straight away excisional biopsy. A report from pathology will satisfy me. Good Luck.

With Best Wishes
Dr Anil Grover,
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW