Red blood in stools, no pain. Red spots on chest and back, no fever

My 2 1/2 yr old son has had bright red blood in his poo since Friday. He does not seem to be in any pain and his poos have been both soft and hard, however we notice today that he has small red spots on his chest and the top of his back, he does not have a fever and seems to be well overall
Posted Tue, 25 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in to Healthcare Magic!
Your child may be having a bleeding diathesis due to coagulation disorder.
It may be due to so viral exanthem or an immunological disorder that decrease platelet counts and causes bleeding.
Small children sometimes may bleed from rectal polyp also.
You should get his blood investigations CBC, PT, INR, aPTT and stool examination.
The investigations will provide vital clues.
There is no scope of any treatment without investigations in this case.
If bleeding is continuous and alarming then the child may need to be hospitalised and blood transfusion may be needed to stabilize him.
If you have any further query please let me know I would try to answer it for you.
Wish you a great health!