Recurring muscle twitching all over the body since months causing difficulty in concentration. Treatment guidance?

Jan 2013

Hello Doctor - I am suffering with muscle twitching/fluttering here and there....It is quite some time now...sometimes it happens in left calf, sometimes in left thigh...then right...These days for the past 1 is happening in left side of head were forehead finishes....I am not able to concentrate...Please advise...
Posted Tue, 4 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the associated features along with mentioned.
Do you have weakness in sitting or standing from squatting posture?
Do you have muscular atrophy in any part of body?
Do you have positive family history of similar symptoms?
Do you have any type of sensory deficit?

With the available described symptoms, it can be concluded that you are suffering from fasciculations.
Twitching and fluttering in skin is called as fasciculations and it could be physiological or pathological in nature.
Fasciculations have a variety of causes, the majority of which are benign, but can also be due to disease of the motor neurons.

Fasciculation could be due to excessive sympathetic activity or could be a manifestation of motor neuron disease.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ neurologist and should go for thorough neurological check up.
Neurological examination by treating doctor is mandatory to rule out motor neuron disease as it could not be picked up by MRI/ CT scan brain.
You should also go for complete blood count, serum folic acid, nerve conduction studies and EMG.

Treatment depends on exact diagnosis.
Meanwhile, you should take antioxidants, multivitamins and pregabalin/ gabapentin.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava