Recurring itchy anus, bleeding, sore tailbone

I have a recurring itchy anus. it seems to come and go and does bleed slightly. it only itches when I scratch it. lately I have noticed that my tailbone is a little sore.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding the symptoms you are experiencing.

From what you describe it sounds like you're dealing with a mild case of hemorrhoids. Hemorrhoids are tiny blood vessels that can become swollen in the area of the anus. Sometimes this causes bleeding. A very common symptom of hemorrhoids is itching. There are some very good over-the-counter remedies that can significantly improve symptoms. I would recommend that you try one of these options in order to see if this completely resolve your symptoms.

One over-the-counter remedy that seems to work very well it's called preparation H. There is a cooling gel variety of this over-the-counter preparation which works very well.

In addition what you might also consider doing is taking a warm bath once per day for the next several days. Soaking in the tub will also help to improve the symptoms of the hemorrhoids.

I would expect your symptoms to slowly improve over about one or two weeks.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert.