Recurring headaches, from forehead to neck, after consuming food with flour. What is it?

Question
Hello Doc
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Follow-up: Recurring headaches, from forehead to neck, after consuming food with flour. What is it? 3 minutes later
Hello doc,

I have been suffering from severe reccurring headache for the last year and a half. This occurs on right side of my head starting right in the middle of the forehead and continues around until the neck area. This continues for 2-3 days and gets triggered when i eat things with white flour. or if I skip a meal. Any suggestions on the diagnosis or what should i do as next steps ?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 21 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

From the symptoms it can be primary headache like migraine or a tension headache.

Migraine may present with headache for more than seventy-two hours and is often associated with vomiting, dizziness and visual problems and is often triggered by triggering factors like diet or stress.

For such headaches, try these lifestyle modifications:

1)     Go to sleep and wake up at the same time each day. Do not skip any meals and since the headaches worsen after eating food with white flour, avoid taking it in diet.

2)     Exercise regularly (daily if possible) and limit stress through regular exercise and relaxation techniques. Yoga and meditation will also help.

3)     Avoid bright or flashing lights and wear sunglasses if sunlight is a trigger.

4)     Identify and avoid foods that trigger headaches by keeping a headache and food diary and limit caffeine consumption to less than two caffeine-containing beverages a day.

5)     You can also try over the counter pain killers like aspirin or acetaminophen. If still the symptoms persist, then please consult a physician for specific anti-migraine therapy (triptophans and ergot preparations).

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Recurring headaches, from forehead to neck, after consuming food with flour. What is it? 32 minutes later
Are there any dietary deficiencies as well that might be causing migraine since this started occuring about 1.5 years back.
Any further diagnosis that might be necessary ?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 16 hours later
Hello again XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing back.

Some of the common triggers of migraine may include environmental factors such as cigarette smoke, loud noise, bright or flickering lights; psychological factors including stress, anxiety, or depression; dietary factors such as alcohol, chocolate, caffeine, tyramine containing foods, food additives, or citrus fruit; or life-style factors such as inadequate or excessive sleep, fasting or dieting, fatigue, skipping meals, or strenuous exercise.

Even birth control pills may trigger migraine in women. So please check out this option.

Regarding vitamin deficiencies, low vitamin B2 (riboflavin) and vitamin D have been associated with migraine headaches. Vitamin B2 and a combination of vitamin D and calcium were effective in reducing the frequency and duration of migraine attacks.

One sided headache could be due some common causes like;
1. Migraines.
2. Chronic sinusitis.
3. Eye problems (refraction errors).
4. Neuralgia.
5. Increased intra cranial tension due to some mass.
6. Tension headaches.

These can all be ruled out after a complete physical examination and a few investigations like X-ray of the para nasal sinuses, CT scan of the head, Complete blood counts etc.,

I suggest you consult an ENT surgeon first and get examined to rule out the sinus related problems and follow his advice for further course of action