Recurring erection problem, low sex drive, depression, taken cialis for years, tried viagra, under nasonex treatment for sinusitis. Cause?

Question
Hi Sir,

I am having a recurring erection problem. I am 32, 181 cms tall, 70 kilos, good physical condition. I am part time smoker, weekend drinker, occasional recreational drug user.

To make my story relatively short, I have had erection problems all my life. Until the age of 25 I did not manage to have sex succesfully. A doctor suggested Cialis. I used it for seven years now, first six years having very good results on it. However, in time, I noticed that I needed to increase the dosage so I went up at time to 5 pills at once to make sure I will fully satisfy the person on my first night sleep with her. Perhaps my body was adjusting to it?

This year, I have started experiencing erection problems again and my sex drive and libido have diminished significantly. Cialis does not give me morning erections even if I increasde the dosage to 6 which is fairly crazy I know.. I tried Viagra instead and although it helps me get an erection, it is still not as good as cialis in the last few years..

I have been under Nasonex treatment for a chronic synusitis for the past 11 months and I witnessed a lower sex drive under it as well as periods of depression. Could this be the cause? Or has my body got used to erection pills and does not function anymore? IN the past, it worked automatically..

Many thanks for an honest and well thought answer. I would love to enjoy sex again and to be able to share it with my future partners.

Thanks and merry xmas!
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Erectile Dysfunction

Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 1 hour later
Hi there.

Thank you for posting your question here.

The original cause of your erectile dysfunction was probably performance anxiety and therefore Cialis was not the appropriate treatment, then no more than it is today. My guess is that performance anxiety remains a large part of your problem still. Niggling negative thoughts are stopping your brain from getting messages down to your penis.

That said, you need to have yourself checked out for diabetes. You should also have Doppler studies on your penis to rule out venous leakage. When these come back clear, then performance anxiety moves from being a possible cause of your ED to being a probable one.

You might want to consider a trial of testosterone replacement therapy to see if that would boost your libido, improve your erections and reduce your depression. If it works stay on it, if not then just go off it.

Finally, if you get close enough to your next sex partner, then tell her about your erectile dysfunction, take intercourse off the menu for two weeks and practise mutual pleasuring. This is the only real cure for ED in a man of your age.

I hope, this answers your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: Recurring erection problem, low sex drive, depression, taken cialis for years, tried viagra, under nasonex treatment for sinusitis. Cause? 1 hour later
Hi Dr Rynne,

Many thanks for your answer. I have a follow up question. While I am quite certain that anxiety played a big role in my sex life due to the initial failed encounters,I was nevertheless very happy to have a normal sex life with the artificial help of Cialis.

I managed to enjoy 6 full years of erections and sex. I agree with the tests and the long term treatment, but is there anything that can help me at this right moment to enjoy sex once more. The ideal would be to be able to have sex while following other types of treatment..

Thanks for your answer.

Best,
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 2 hours later
XXXXXXX,

Thank you.

Penile injection like Caverject 20 mcg will give you 100% guaranteed erections whenever you want them, no matter how anxious you are. But do you really want to go down this road?

Get a loving trusting partner and work your way through this. You will only get out of it what you put into it. It takes a little pleasant work rather than pharmaceuticals.

Andrew Rynne. MD