Ask a Urologist   »  

Recurrent urinary tract infections after hysterectomy. On antibiotics. Correct treatment?

Dear Doctor, My mother has been operated for hysterectomy in 2009 ever since she has urine infection. Now the doctor has put her on antibiotics ever since, she is taking martifer tab 2 times a day. Is this treatment correct? Please advise
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 2 hours later

Thanks for your query

You should certainly get your mother investigated to rule out possible causes of recurrent UTI.
It is a common practice to start patient on suppressive antibiotics if he or she continues to have recurrent UTI. However, I shall usually put patient on once in the night dosing for 3 months rather than twice daily dosing and then stop it and see how he or she does. I usually don't advise martifur for a very long period without break as it can lead to pulmonary fibrosis.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.