Ask a Dentist   »  

Recurrent ulcers on tongue. Advice for prevention?

Dear Doctor,

I have question about repeating ulcers that I had. Every after 1 week I recovered from ulcer, I always had another ulcer, and for the past two times is on the same spot on tongue.

I would like to seek your advise for prevention or if there is anything serious I have take a look for.

Thank you.

Posted Fri, 14 Sep 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 34 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
Repeated mouth ulcers could signify a vitamin B complex deficiency or can be due to smoking, chewing tobacco or could be simply aphthous ulcers for which the cause remains unknown.
I would suggest the following:
a. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. You should be taking atleast 6 servings daily. Also, you could consider using a vitamin supplement which is commonly available over the counter at the pharmacy
b. Stop smoking or using tobacco. If you have been smoking or using tobacco for considerable period of time, please see a physician. We could possibly be looking at something more serious and a biopsy from the ulcer would be needed.
Hope that helps