Recurrent red rash on neck and chin, aggravated by heat, stress and alcohol. Burns when blushing. Any suggestions?

Dermatologist
Question
Hi. I have a continuing red rash on my neck and chin. I showed my doctor - it is NOT rosacea, he gave me a huge name for it. Aggravated by heat, stress, alcohol etc etc. when I blush it burns!!!!! He said laser would treat it but that is too expensive for me. Any suggestions???? It is really embarrassing and if I put on concealer/makeup, it just looks lumpy........
Posted Sat, 8 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 6 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
There are many types of rash that can affect the described area. In your age group, lesions like telengectasias are common.
It seems that the rash you are talking about is telengectasia.
A photograph of the lesion would be really helpful in giving you a detailed reply. Please upload one using the 'Upload your reports' option.

Dr.Rohit Batra

Follow-up: Recurrent red rash on neck and chin, aggravated by heat, stress and alcohol. Burns when blushing. Any suggestions? 8 days later
Hi. I have looked at photos and it seems I have telengestasia. How can I treat it at home if possible? I saw somewhere that liquorice MAY help soothe it. Any suggestions? Thanks. XXXXXX

Ps| it is on my chin too and that gets itchy on occasion....

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 26 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

Thanks for your follow up query and sorry for the delay in replying.

Telengiectasias are due to prominence of blood vessels lying in close proximity to the skin and are somewhat treatable by Laser treatments only.

Home remedies as suggested by you do not have any scientific rationale behind them and hence I am really sorry to comment on them.

Hope this helps you. Do write back in case you have doubts.

Dr.Rohit Batra

Follow-up: Recurrent red rash on neck and chin, aggravated by heat, stress and alcohol. Burns when blushing. Any suggestions? 6 hours later
Ok. I shall try the licorice and maybe XXXXXXX tea compresses for awhile.

If laser is the go, what sort of costs are normal in Australia? AND how many treatments would be necessary?

Thanks again.

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 27 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
thanks for writing back.
The cost would vary from centre to centre and it would be difficult to comment on that. The number of treatments would vary on the response seen and other factors like findings on a physical exam.
Let me know if I can address any more questions

Follow-up: Recurrent red rash on neck and chin, aggravated by heat, stress and alcohol. Burns when blushing. Any suggestions? 20 hours later
Ok. Thanks.

Can you tell me what causes them? They came on suddenly when I moved interstate to a much warmer climate.

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 22 hours later
Thanks for your follow up query.
There are lots of factors which can lead to telengectasis.- Hormonal, steroid overuse, excessive weight, abnormal liver profile etc.
Sometimes overuse of few creams like steroids can also cause them.

Dr.Rohit Batra