Recurrent pimple in penis, applied cortisone and psoriasis gel with mixed result, leaves light scar.

Dermatologist
Question
symptoms; penis gland pimple keeps coming back every month or so for the past year. the last time it lasted several weeks. Applied Corizone and also tried psorisous gel with mixed results. After it heals it leaves a light scar. They are not clustered like pictures i have seen and are isolated to one or two when it has happened.
I am scheduling blood work to get tested for STD's but am curious to what may cause this.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 1 hour later

Based on the history you have provided and the picture you have attached, Genital Herpes comes to mind.

I would like you to answer the following questions:

-Are these pimples painful?
-Are they fluid filled?
-Have you ever had an unprotected sexual intercourse which you think may have caused this problem?

It is a good idea to get your bloodwork done for STIs(Sexually transmitted infections) specially herpes.

Awaiting your response.

Follow-up: Recurrent pimple in penis, applied cortisone and psoriasis gel with mixed result, leaves light scar. 15 minutes later
No pain and I havent noticed any fluid. And yes I have had unprotected sex. One other thing was that i have read about herpes and read that the outbeak usually last only a week but these seemed to linger on for 3 to 4 weeks and I still see where they were.

One other symptom I had was my scrotum felt really sore before they showed up.

It only appeared on the gland and never on the shaft also.

Would any other STI show these types of symptoms or is it possible that my dermatitus could show up on my penis.

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 21 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up.

I would like to know long after the unprotected sex did you develop these lesions.

With herpes, the first episode is painful and lasts long. Subsequent episodes are milder and of shorter duration, though the scars may be there for a long time.

No other STI(sexually transmitted infection) behaves in this manner.

Other explanations are allergy to condom, soap or cleansers that you use and , your dermatitis may show up on the penis but the morphology is odd for dermatitis.

Follow-up: Recurrent pimple in penis, applied cortisone and psoriasis gel with mixed result, leaves light scar. 48 minutes later
It seemed to be a few months after but now I think back I did have some new body wash given to me before the first outbreak and I just recently used it again.

What is strange I had no symtoms of pain. Irritation but no pain.

I will just have the blood work done and wait for the results.

Thank you for your clarification.

You are welcome.I will be available if you have any other queries.

Thank you.