Recurrent ear discharge. Suggest treatment

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Aug 2013
Aug 2013

ENT Specialist
Question
Ears that have a discharge that drys on the outside of the ear and inside to a clear grainy type substance
Posted Tue, 29 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 29 minutes later
hello and welcome to Health care magic,

I am Dr Sriram Nathan an ENT surgeon and I will try to help you out with your problem.

Since you have not mentioned which ear, I will assume that you are getting recurrent ear discharge from both the ears. In any case the treatment remains the same. You need to do the following:

1. If the discharge is present now and is foul smelling or very copious then you must start a course of antibiotics and anti histamine after pus culture testing. Ask your doctor about this

2. You may also use an local antibiotic ear drop in consultation with your doctor

3. Do not take head bath for the next one week or put oil to your hair

4. do not put ear buds or try to clean the ear by yourself

5. Do get an audiometry testing and a CT of the temporal bone done when the discharge is under control and get back to me or any ENT surgeon with the report so that a permanent solution can be sought

6. Avoid any water to enter the ear. For this take a piece of clean cotton, dip in Vaseline and squeeze it nicely and place it in the entrance of your ear canal.

7. Keep you diabetes under strict and good control for the infection to be controlled properly

Some amount of discharge is usual in any ear infection so do not worry, if it persists and is recurrent only then get the advocated testing done

Hope your doubts are clear and I will be happy to answer any more

take care and get well soon

regards

Dr Sriram Nathan