Recurrent Impetigo. Not responding to antibiotics. Any other way to heal it quickly?

I keep getting re occurring impetigo every time I am stressed out would i benifit from seeing a dermatologist or am i destined to suffer with this always and why? This time I noticed come up on Tuesday started antibiotics on Wednesday (floaxpen 500mg x3 daily) and fucidin cream I caught it so early i thought it would clear straight away but seems to be getting worse first?... It is under my bottom lip and its Friday now and it there is a little pain with it now too could it be immune to the antibiotics ?... as I have been prescribed the same one numerous times as I have had it on and off for 2 years now!!! Please Help I just want it too heal quickly and know how to further prevent it !! Thank you
Posted Thu, 28 Jun 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 4 hours later

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

Impetigo is superficial infection of the skin caused by staphylococcus (Staph) and streptococcus (Strep) bacteria. Impetigo is most likely to occur in warm and humid environments.

Stress is not routinely a factor responsible for precipitation of impetigo. Diagnosis is by clinical presentation and confirmation by culture and rule out other causes. Culture and sensitivity will aid in knowing which antibiotic is useful in treating it.

Other risk factors include Crowded conditions, warm, humid weather. Impetigo infections are more common in summer. Pre-existing chronic dermatitis, especially atopic dermatitis.

I advice you to keep the skin clean that can help mild infections heal on their own. Topical antibiotic you can apply to the affected areas (topical antibiotic), such as the ointments mupirocin (Bactroban) or retapamulin (Altabax). Before applying the antibiotic, you need to gently remove any scabs so that the antibiotic can penetrate the sore.

As you have taken most of the antibiotics i advice you to see dermatologist for examination and also to confirm and to check with antibiotic is effective for your problem.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer