Recovering from partial paralytic attack. Started getting muscle pain and vibration on leg. Any advice?

My father who is aged 78 suffered from partial paralytic attack due to blood clot in his brain.
His right side of the body was affected including speech. However he has recovered to some extent over last 8 months with help from Physiotherapist and continuing medicines.

However he has continuously been complaining about muscle pain and irritating as well as painful vibrations In the right side of his leg, body and in the head.

We have consulted many doctors including Neurologist, General Physician and Homeopathic as well while still getting physiotherapy as well. This hasn't solved the problem as yet and he has been repeatedly complaining of mentioned problem. This is an acute problem has he sometimes even cries owing to this irritating and painful problem and he always remains fearful and concerned.

Are these symptoms of any other undetected problem or are there any post paralytic rehabilitation centers which can be consulted by us.

Please advice.

Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in Stroke
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 1 hour later

Thanks for posting this query.

I have noted the complaints that you have mentioned.

Please note that the symptoms and signs related to cardiovascular diseases (stroke either due to bleed or blood clots in the brain) depends upon the area of the brain affected.

The presence of symptoms in the right side and speech problem would suggest that the left side of the brain is affected (the left side controls the right side and the language area is also situated in the left side). The other problem that you have mentioned could be a damage related to left side of thalamus/parietal lobe. I am sorry I have not seen any of scans or reports with this query.

This symptom can be controlled with one of these medicines : Pregabaline, gabapentine, duloxtetine etc. If you are not on this already, please discuss with your neurologist for the same. Apart from regular physiotherapy, you will have to start him on one of these medicines.

If you are from India, the best rehabilitation centers are there in CMC Vellore, NIMHANS Bangalore, AIIMS Delhi.

He has to be on blood thinner and other medicines, which your treating doctor would have already prescribed, to prevent future stroke.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes