Recovering from fractures in pelvis. Frequent urination and bowel movements. Suggest treatment

I recently had an accident which resulted in two fractures of my pelvis - and have been recovering for over a month -doing fine with healing progressing - have endured a lot of pain o.k. use walker and have two more physical therapy visits next week. My complaint is that I have frequent bathroom problems - many visits at night to urinate plus frequent small bowel movements plus one or more regular bowel movements. Not painful but disturbing - not diahrrea = but still each movement reveals several solid stools - small intestine size - and some regular size stools first thing upon arising - or even during the night. Help is requested for this over 80 healthy strong lady. do i just wait or should I leave the screen and you will e-mail the answer? how long should I wait for the answer.
Posted Sat, 16 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rogers Nditanchou 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See neurologist for review, reeducation plan

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

It is not unusual that trauma be associated with disturbance in bowel movements. The urinary (bladder sphincter and anal sphincter) all very important for the defecation reflex, are controlled voluntarily and involuntarily by nerves that originate from the lumbar and sacral areas. A pelvic fracture with two fractures could have probable affected the lumbar and sacral regions,with possible consequences on these nerves. A complete neurological evaluation is therefore compelling, to ascertain the integrity of the nerves innervating these areas.

It is however not excluded that changes in the diet due to the accident could also explain partly these symptoms. Treatment shall depend on a n appropriate diagnosis, and a specific and specialized reeducation protocol.

A digital rectal examination, to ascertain the tonicity or stength of the anal sphincter is important.

My suggestion is that you book an appointment with a neurologist for a complete neurological review. Based on his findings, an appropriate integrated management plan could be established in collaboration or with opinions form the neurologist and the gastroenterologist. A reeducation and appropriate feeding habit plan are in my opinion, key components of this plan.

I suggest you book an appointment for a complete neurological review. Please , feel free asking any specific follow up questions in case you got any specific concerns. I shall be honored contributing to your well being. Kind regards as I wish you a fast recovery.

Dr Rogers