Recovered shingles and have dark spots on face. Suggest some effective cream or pill

Jul 2012

I recovered shingles and have dark spots on my face as a result. The doctor said to rub vitamin E oil on the spots and take benadryl to stop the itch. The itch has faded but I dont see an improvement on the dark spots. Ive been applying the vitamin e oil for 3 weeks now. Is there another thing I can take like a special cream or pills or something to have the dark spots fade? Thanks! I am Latino if that matters and have darker skin.
Posted Tue, 25 Dec 2012 in Pigmentation Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 13 minutes later
Hi there.
I understand your issues. In our part of the world we tend to have similar skin types & if not allergic to hydroquinone, i recommend a cream that contains 2% hydroquinone application only to the affected spots evenings at about 7 pm. Ensure it is never used in the morning & use a sunscreen as a protective cover in the morning.
Cheers & wish you luck.
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Follow-up: Recovered shingles and have dark spots on face. Suggest some effective cream or pill 7 minutes later
I just attached a picture of my face. As you can see, it's on the side of my nose and a few spots on my face and dark spot under my eye. Is there a specific brand that you recommend? How long do I apply it for?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 9 hours later
Hi there.
The rules on this website do not allow mois to name a specific brand & the names vary tween countries but am sure your pharmacist will easily put a name to it. you may apply it evenings for 3 weeks & then decide on a further course of action.
Cheers & good luck!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD