Recovered from RSV. Old x-ray showed minimally increased perihilar opacities. Should I be worried?

what are the risk if my 6mth old xrays are showing that she has minimally increased perihilar opacities She has just recovered from RSV but currently tested negative. She just started the gasping for air. It is really scary and I took her to the ER today. The ER doctor took an xray and said her lungs were clear but it looked like she could have Minimally increased perihilar opacities or viral infection. I am worried about this so much and need to know the facts.
Posted Wed, 27 Feb 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is understandable to be worried.
First of all perihilar refers to a particular location on the xray; peri-just outside and hilum is an area in the lung where the blood vessels and other structures enter and leave the lung.
The opacities that were seen were just outside the hilum of the lung. This can occur in viral or bacterial infections of the lung. In your daughter's case, with a history of previous RSV, even though now negative, it may be remnants from the previous infection.
Any viral pneumonia can cause opacification in any aspect of the lung.

If this xray was compared to the xrays she would have done while ill, this newer one would likely appear to be resolution of her infection.The fact that the opacities were described as minimal makes this more likely.

You can continue to monitor her and consider taking her to your pediatrician if you have any concerns regarding her breathing.

I hope this helps, please feel free to ask any other questions