Reason for white marks on fingers?

What are these white marks on my fingers? Thanks
Posted Sun, 2 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Charu Bansal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: need more details Detailed Answer: Hello dear, Welcome to healthcaremagic. I have read your query and understood your concern. I have seen the attached pic also. I could see the white colored lesions which you have nicely highlighted. But I am not able to make sure whether these are raised or flat. I would like to know for how long the lesions are present? Are the lesions itchy or asymptomatic ? What is your occupation ? Are such lesions present at some other sites of body ? Kindly reply to my questions and if possible focus on a lesion and send a pic again So that I can advice you further. Good luck
Follow-up: Reason for white marks on fingers? 1 hour later
Yes, they are slightly raised. They are asymptomatic and have been present for about 2 years. There are no others at other places on the body. I work on the computer for my job. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Charu Bansal 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detail follows Detailed Answer: Hello friend, Thanks for the new pic you have attached. The lesions are quite clear now. Such asymptomatic white colored lesions on the dorsal hands concentrated mainly on and around joints go in favor of knuckle pads. Knuckle pads are simply due to thickening of skin at the site, mainly over bony prominences, usually associated with repetitive friction/ trauma at the site of lesions. They are harmless as such. The treatment for this is to avoid the triggering factor if present. Some keratolytic agents like ones containing salicylic acid / urea can be applied once daily for few weeks for the treatment. This is my best advice for you. I hope i am able to solve your query. If you have further query you may ask me. Else you may close the discussion and rate it. Good luck.