Reappearance of lump on temple. Diagnosed as nodule. Had cyst on temple, had it sealed with laser. Could it be cancer?

Hello Doctor, I am a 56-year old healthy female. 10-12 years ago I went to a doctor, had a small cyst on my left temple. Doctor lanced it, told me it was benign, if I can remember correctly, I thought he used laser to seal it but it has been years so cannot remember exactly, nor do I have paperwork now. Anyhow, I noticed the last few years this has started to come back, same place, a small spongy gel lump blue'ish in color. It was very slow growing. I went to dermatologist and she told me this lump is not a cyst, but a nodule, I will go back next week to have it removed. It does not bother me other than when my hair rubs against it, there is slight itching. Can you tell me what you think? I have fair skin, XXXXXXX eyes, don't go out in the sun much, but I did when I was in my teens. I hope this is not a cancerous nodule tumor. Wondering if when it was lanced 10 years ago, there is a layer of tissue, blueish color is because of what is inside of gel like lump only and hope it is not cancerous. Thank you
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in Skin Cancer
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 3 hours later
Hi ,
Thanks for writing in.
The condition can be sebaceous cyst,venous lake, vascular tumors etc.
It is unlikely that it may be cancerous.At your age of 56 few benign vascular growths are common and need not be cancerous.
I would also know-
Is there any itching /pain on the area?
What is the size of lump?
Is there reduction in size on pressure over it?
Any bleeding through the lump any time?
Are you on any medications presently ?
Can you upload the photos of the affected area?
Photos can help a lot in predicting the condition.
Upload the photos and answer the questions and we can continue the discussion here.
Hope this helps.
I will be available for follow up.
Dr. Sudarshan
Follow-up: Reappearance of lump on temple. Diagnosed as nodule. Had cyst on temple, had it sealed with laser. Could it be cancer? 8 hours later

Thank you for you response, I have taken pictures but cannot seem to download.

The nodular does not hurt, does not bleed, it only slightly itches, mainly itches when my hair brushes up against it or covers it. When I wear my hair behind my ear, it does not.

I have a Mirena IUD, this is my second one, end of a 5 years though, due to go in to have taken out in May, possibly have another one put in for hormone replacement only.

I am not on any other medication.

This is a spongy nodule, slightly raised, 1/8" wide, gel, slightly transparent, blue around the edge, blue in center.

It does not hurt, bleed, can move it with my finger, one nodule.

If I can download a picture later I will.

Thank you,

I really do appreciate your information especially venous lake, I pulled up a couple descriptions and this does seem to fit the description closely. I sent you a picture, do not know if you can see it clearly enough. I used to go out in the sun alot when I was a teenager, we had nice spot, trailer set up down by Rosarito Beach, so would stay through the Summer and holidays, so I did get plenty of more direct sun exposure when young. So I would appreciate any further professional advice based on the picture I sent you. Below is 1 of 2 descriptions I felt closely matched my symptoms.

Thank you so much,

Venous lakes manifest as dark blue-to-violaceous compressible papules caused by dilation of venules. They were first described in 1956 by Bean and Walsh, who noted their compressibility and predilection for sun-exposed skin, especially the ears of elderly patients.[1] Although benign, venous lakes are important because of their mimicry of malignant lesions, such as melanoma and pigmented basal cell carcinoma.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 4 hours later
Hi again,
Ive gone through the image.Its very hazy to appreciate the lesions.
As you know venous lake and sebaceous cyst are closest differential in your case.A better image can allow more confident diagnosis.
As you know venous lakes are treatable by RF cautery or surgery.
A visit to dermatologist will allow proper examination and confirmation of diagnosis followed by treatment if needed.
Upload the images and we can continue the discussion here .
Follow-up: Reappearance of lump on temple. Diagnosed as nodule. Had cyst on temple, had it sealed with laser. Could it be cancer? 1 hour later

Thank you again for you quick responses.

I only have an XXXXXXX 4 iPhone to take the pictures with, so just sent you 3 more.

These pictures are the best I have to send you at this point.

Any further assessment would be very much appreciated.

I have so grateful you gave me information on venous lakes.

Thank you,

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 10 hours later
Hi Candee,
The condition appears to be venous lake.
It is a benign condition and can be treated by surgery or RF cauetery.
A visit to dermatologist will allow confirmation of diagnosis and treatment.
I will be available for follow up.
If you are satisfied with the answer please accept it and rate it at the end.