Raw and burny scab on breast near nipple. Any ideas?

I have a scab on my breast near my's red and a little raw and it started as a bump and now it looks like a scab and it's perfectly round- any ideas?
Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 43 minutes later
Hello and thank you for sending a question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

The most likely cause of what you are experiencing is a bacterial infection. This can sometimes cause changes in the skin with redness and pain.

I think at the same time that you should see your doctor for a good clinical examination to make sure there is not something else other than bacteria which is causing your problem. This is especially true if you have not had a mammogram performed within the last 12 months.

If your doctor thinks you have some type of infection he may prescribed an antibiotic for you to take by mouth or possibly a topical antibiotic. Again I really think you need to see your doctor as soon as possible to have this examined.

Thanks again for sending your question.

If you have any additional concerns please let us know.

Dr. Galamaga