Rashes on chest and face after drinking alcohol. Had eczema and dermographia. Any ideas?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
I get a rash on my chest and sometimes face (flushing) when i drink alcohol, am nervous, hot, etc. I also suffer from eczema on my hairline and dermographia. I have attached a picture. Any ideas what this is?
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2013 in Skin Rash

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 2 hours later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic,

I went through the picture and your complaints.

After taking alcohol, the flushing of face and rash on the chest may be due a mild allergic reaction, or due to its vasodilatation effect of alcohol, rarely due to alcohol flush reaction.

These type of skin changes will be seen in people with sensitive skin, allergic skin conditions like eczema.

Emotions like anxiety, nervousness, and angry will lead to aggravation of the rashes by stress and the psychosomatic effects.

For relief you can apply calamine lotion externally and if there is itching you can take oral antihistamine like cetirizine in prescribed dosage.

Rash aggravated by nervousness needs lessening of stress by anxiolytic drugs or meditation.

Taking ranitidine 30 to 60 minutes before alcohol intake has been associated with the decrease of the skin rashes.

Consult a Dermatologist and share your history of getting rashes with alcohol consumption and with nervousness and for treatment advise.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Rashes on chest and face after drinking alcohol. Had eczema and dermographia. Any ideas? 10 hours later
Dr. XXXXXXX

Thanks for your response. I have been told that the rash could be cholinergic urticaria because I can get the rash with heat, alcohol, emotions, etc. and it goes away fast. Is that common to occur with someone who has eczema?

The eczema on my hairline is itchy. My dermatologist said that it's not seborrehic dermatitis, just atopic dermatitis. Cn that occur on the hairline.n what can I do to get rid of this? My doctor gave me elides but it doesn't seem to be working.

Also, why is it that people who suffer from allergies get rashes like this?

Thanks, XXXXXXX

Also, I uploaded another picture of the rash I get on my forehead. Please take a look.

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 25 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

You are welcome,

Thank you for getting back.

I went through your pictures.

Yes it looks like a cholinergic urticaria as it is appearing with emotions, heat, and alcohol and going fast.

Some people with underlying atopic dermatitis may prone to this skin reaction because of their allergy prone body constitution.

I think it is Elidel cream and not elides and it contains 1 percent pimecrolimus which is used in eczema.

Eczema can occur on the hairline.

Consult again your Dermatologist if you don't feel any improvement with Elidel cream.

In allergy prone people, the sensitivity for allergens is more and they are intolerant to allergens.

Allergens will cause skin rashes by stimulating allergic cells like eosinophils, chemicals like histamines causing vasodilatation producing skin rashes.

Regards.

Follow-up: Rashes on chest and face after drinking alcohol. Had eczema and dermographia. Any ideas? 3 hours later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX I appreciate your fast response!

Just to confirm, what I have looks like cholinergic urticaria because it comes and goes fast? Also, the eczema on the scalp is atopic?

Thank you so much, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 7 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

You are welcome.

As your Dermatologist examined your on and off rash on forehead and chest, and persistent rash on hairline, it might be cholinergic urticaria and eczema respectively.

Physical examination of skin rash by a doctor is more accurate in the diagnosis of skin conditions.

Accurate clinical history of your complaints of skin rash and physical examination to look for the specific clinical findings by a Dermatologist will give to correct diagnosis.

And there is no single test or investigation to confirm the most of the skin problems but they will help to support the clinical diagnosis.

Hope you understand my advice.

If you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.