Ask a Urologist   »  

Rashes on Penis, red circular spots, unprotected oral sex. Genital herpes?

Question
Red circle of rash-like red spots in circle formation aroun head of penis near urethral opening. Appeared 6 wks after protected vaginal sex but unprotected oral. No mouth ulcers. Also a row of tiny subsurface red dots on shaft. I will consult doctor but am away this week on vacation. What are the odds that this is genital herpes and are there any more likely possibilities?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 50 minutes later

A rash like red spots around head of penis with red dots on the shaft appearing six weeks after oral sex are not likely to be indicative of an STD.

I would like to know a few more things as this will help me in suggesting you better:
1. Is the rash dry and scaly?
2. Is it on and off constantly?
3. Is the rash spread only over the head of the penis or involves whole shaft?
4. Is there any pain or itch associated?
5. can you feel any nodules associated with the rashes beneath the skin?

It would be better if you could send me a photo of the rash. You can mail me the photo to YYYY@YYYY SUB: ATTN Dr.Rakhi Tayal.

So that I can have a look at the lesion and it will help me in understanding your condition better.

Please reply with the answers and also the photos and do confirm by writing here about mailing of the photos, so that I can view it and reply you back at the earliest.

Anticipating an early response.

Regards.

Follow-up: Rashes on Penis, red circular spots, unprotected oral sex. Genital herpes? 11 hours later
To answer your questions, the spots around the urethra on the glans are not scaly and appear to be red centers inside of very slightly raised blisters. They are separated from each other, but form two tight concentric circles around the urethra. The vast majority of the glans is free of them. They do not appear to be oozing. The five dots on the shaft foreskin have become a bit more diffuse since last night, and can be best described to look like a crescent of small claw marks. However at this point they Are still just red spots, and only an area only 1/2 inch long, the width of the spots, which are also 1 mm or less. The glans spots are also 1mm or less, but lok "shinier" than the foreskin spots. There is no itching and only the slightest of pain on the glans spots, even when I squeeze them. I only noticed this yesterday, so it's hard to say at this point if there is an on and off characteristic to them. There are no nodules under them that I can detect. Noticed all of this after swimming in the ocean yesterday, but I have no recollection of anything that might have caused this while swimming. I will try to send pics but probably can't until I return home from vacation Sunday night. Anxiously await your further opinion in the meantime. Many thanks

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
Hello.

Thanks for writing back.

The description is good though a picture of it helps me. Is there a possibility that you can send one to me to YYYY@YYYY with SUB: ATTN Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

From your description the likely possibilities are-
1. Lichen planus
2. Genital warts.
3. Molluscum contagiosum
4. Penile yeast infection.

I feel that it is better to go ahead with an examination by GP in your area, to rule out their association with any STDs. All the lesions are comparatively less XXXXXXX lesions and do take weeks to resolve. You can get the best drugs prescribed only after consulting your doctor.
Meanwhile keep the area clean and apply a local antiseptic cream for relief.

Sincerely hope it will help.
Wishing you an early recovery.

Follow-up: Rashes on Penis, red circular spots, unprotected oral sex. Genital herpes? 20 hours later
I looked at pictures on the web for the conditions you listed, but none seem to exactly fit (at least based on those I viewed). The spots around my urethra appear to be very small flat ulcers with red pits. Those on my foreskin are still just a row of red spots, although they may have spread out just a little in the last two days. As far as i can tell these are the only locations... It is all very localized. Given this I'm still concerned these may be genitall herpes, even though the vaginal sex was protected. Is it possible that she could transmit herpes with unprotected oral? I also performed unprotected oral on her, but have no ulcers in my mouth. Are there any other herpes symptoms I should be able to notice? if this is herpes, besides vaginal or oral sex, are there any other means by which I could infect my partner? Anxiously await your opinions... Thanks

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Hi and thanks again,.

Yes, it is possible to get herpes infection with unprotected oral sex. If the lesions on our penis are taking an ulcerative appearance then surely you need to see your dermatologist who will diagnose it and will prescribe you the medicines too. If proved, there are chances that you could transmit to others via unprotected sexual intercourse.

Herpes infection is transmitted through oral or vaginal route mainly.

Hope I have answered your query.

Hoping for your recovery.