Rash with whiteheads on collar bones, Topical treatments have not worked. Please help!

Hi, I have a rash made up of small red bumps with tiny whiteheads. It starts on my collar bones and spreads to my shoulders. I have had this several times over the past 2 years and it has previously lasted a couple of weeks and gone away. This time I have had it for about 3 weeks and it seems to be getting worse. I have tried all sorts of topical treatments and nothing has helped, also can't put it down to any change in products or my diet. Please help!
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 4 hours later

Thank you for posting the query,

You have provided with good information regarding your skin problem and it is a very good description. I appreciate it.

I understand your problem; however it would be good if you can answer few of my queries:
1) Do you have any history of photo-sensitivity (aggravation of itching on exposure to direct sunlight)?
2) Do you get itching over the lesion?
3) Do you get scaly lesion or dandruff on scalp?
4) Do you have similar lesion on central part of chest or eyebrows or face?
5) Do you have acne problem on the face?
6) What line of treatment/s has been followed till now?

It would also be important to see the lesion clinically, so if you send me a picture of the lesion then probably I can help you better.
You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

I shall address your concern based on your current given information.

With history what you have submitted, there seems to be three possibilities.
1.     Seborrheic dermatitis
2.     Acne vulgaris
3.     Polymorphic light eruptions (PLE)

The treatment is different in each one of them; so if you can reply me with the answers and the pictures, I would be able to suggest you better.

Awaiting your reply.

Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology