Rash under lips, gets light occasionally, becomes redder on application of heat. Reason?

Dermatologist
Question
I have a rash just under my lip. it is smooth to the touch, just red and blotchy. im not sure what it is. I thought it was just razor burn, but its not going away. occasionally it will get lighter, but then when heat is applies, it gets a little redder until my skin cools.
Posted Sun, 2 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 14 minutes later
Hello dear,
It is a condition called as Erythema ab igne.
In simple words it is a reaction of skin to heat.

Although it is harmless but if it remains for years there are chances of development of cancer in it.

Treatment is to avoid local heat like razor and apply hydrocortisone 1 % gel daily once for 15 days.
You will get relief.

Thank you

Follow-up: Rash under lips, gets light occasionally, becomes redder on application of heat. Reason? 14 hours later
I noticed it after i had a pimple form, so i put some neosporin on it. i did a little research and found out the it could be peroidal dermatitus. i researched this and it says not to use topical cremes, that it just needs to run its course. Is this advisable?

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later
Hello
Thanks for follow up,

You had not mentioned about the cream, ya surely neosporin can cause perioral dermatitis.

stop using it, but you can apply hydrocortisone, it will help in fast relief.

Thank you

Follow-up: Rash under lips, gets light occasionally, becomes redder on application of heat. Reason? 11 hours later
Thank you very much for your help Dr. XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 35 hours later
You are most welcome.