Rash over body, itching, loss of vision after stung by honey bee. Have I developed allergy to bee stings?

I was recently stung by a honey bee. I quickly developed a a rash over my body and then welts. This was accompanied by a of vision that was almost as though I was in total whiteout which may not have lasted for long but seemed an eternity. All this was followed by an incredible itching all over my body. I am in day 2 and the rash etc has gone and the sting area (on my chest) is still swollen, sore and hot but slowly lessening. Previous bee stings have only ever produced large swellings that lasted for 3 days. Have I suddenly developed a dramatic allergy to bee stings? I am a healthy 70 year-old. Thank you
I realised I left out the word 'loss' of vision when referring to the most distressing effect that the bee sting had on me.
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 28 minutes later
Thanks for your query. It is possible to develop the phenomenon of sensitisation over time that increases the intensity of future allergic reactions. The other possibility is this time it could have been a stronger allergen due to may be a different species of bee. I would advise you to consult your physician for anti allergens like avil ie chlorpheniramine or steroids so that the allergy settles down quicker. Wish you good health.