Rash and burning sensation after using Comselite. No relief with Kojovit. How effective is laser treatment?

Dermatologist
Question
I am a 29 year old Male from Karnataka. I was advised Comselite by a Doc, used it for 2 years, stopped using it like 6 months back and suddenly developed rash skin, burning sensation. After a period of time my skin has become normal, but it has turned way too darker, then again went to see a Doc, he suggested Kojovit for fair complexion, it is not helping either now. Not the Doc wants me to undergo some Laser Treatments which can lighten the skin color. How effective can this Laser procedure be? How safe it is? Doc has suggested me to go for two sittings of laster treatment. I need a clear fairer skin, because now it's my face color which is darker, otherwise my body color is much lighter. Want to match face color with rest of my body without any side-effects

Thanks in anticipation.
Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 32 minutes later
Hi

Your concern is regarding the pigmentation that you have developed over your face.

First of all, you have been using a triple combination cream others your face for a period as long as two years which is not at all recommended. I am sure that yet must have surfei on your own without consulting anyone for such a long time.
Long term usage of this combination itself has various side effects. Also increased skin pigmentation is also a known side effect.

Now as far as kojic acid is concerned, it is a good and a mild lightening agent which can be continuously used for a long period of time.
But it needs continuous application for many months together to show its effect.

If however you feel that you are not getting the desired results, then the next available option for you is either chemical peels, dermabrasion or laser treatment.
If your dermatologist is advising you for laser treatment then I am sure you can move forward with the same.
But with laser also you will need a few sittings together in order to have visible results.
And as far as maintenance of the results is concerned, you should make sure that you regularly use a sunscreen with spf atleast more than 26 .

Hope it helps.

If you have any other query, please let me know.

Dr Geetika Paul

Follow-up: Rash and burning sensation after using Comselite. No relief with Kojovit. How effective is laser treatment? 29 minutes later
Thank you so much for your reply Doctor.

I am thinking to go ahead with the laser treatment in few days' time. I am desperate to get my original skin back. It's embarrassing for me right now to have such a facial skin. Before that, can you brief me on the Laser Treatment? What exactly it is? Will it leave any permanent pores on my face? Normally how many sittings are required to get desired results? Doc is charging 5k per sitting, and I am not in a luxury to afford multiple sittings.

Do you want to suggest something altogether different to help me get out of this problem? I am getting married in 6 months time, want to have a good-looking skin on my face before that.

Looking forward for your reply.

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 11 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

I can completely understand your concern especially as your marriage is nearby.

Now it is clear that what we need is immediate effect.

We do have many treatment options but most of them take their time to return the original glow to the skin.
Now among the options that we have at hand, the best would be combination treatments which can include a combination of laser with either dermabrasion or with chemical peels.
I am sure that you can discuss the same with your dermatologist clearly.

Laser treatment is on doubt expensive and depending upon the quality of laser that is being used, these treatments can be costly.
For a single sitting, one can be charged anywhere between three to ten thousand per sitting of laser facial. This cost varies greatly.

But you also need to understand that usually such sittings are given either fortnightly or monthly and one may require something between three to four sittings for a good long lasting effect:

Other than proper Care of the face after the sittings in the form of regular application of sunscreen, nothing much is required to be done.

And laser has no role in enlarging skin pores. Infact Laser is a treatment option for large skin pores.

I am sure that you safely continue with the above treatment to get the desired results. But make sure to visit a good and trained dermatologist for the same.

Hope it helps.

Dr Geetika Paul

Follow-up: Rash and burning sensation after using Comselite. No relief with Kojovit. How effective is laser treatment? 12 minutes later
Thank you again for your valuable time

Can you suggest me some good skin clinics in Bangalore for the Laser Treatment? The doctor I visited for consultation also works in XXXXXXX Skin Clinic, she asked me to visit XXXXXXX for the Laser Treatment? How good is this Clinic? Your suggestion matters a most for me especially in this regard, to help me finalize on the clinic.

Also, request you to elaborate on dermabrasion. Haven't heard about it before. What exactly it is? Can it get together nicely with Laser treatment and fasten the recovery process for my facial skin?

Thanks in anticipation.

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 7 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

I would like you to be relaxed first of all as XXXXXXX clinic has a good reputation all over especially in terms of the laser that they use.
XXXXXXX mostly uses nd yag lasers in most of its centres and these are on doubt the best lasers at present especially for Indian skin.

So I am sure you can move forward with the treatment.
Now as far as dermabrasion is concerned, it is popular by the name of skin polishing all over.
There is a technique where they combine laser treatment with skin polishing and it is called laser photofacials.

This procedure gives very good results but then I think the dermatologist who has examined your face and the kind of pigmentation that you have , is the best person to guide you as to what is best for your skin.
You can surely discuss with your doctor about the need to combine laser with other options in your case, but then the assessment of your doctor has to be more reliable.

Hope I have addressed all your concerns.

Dr Geetika Paul