Rapidly deteriorating eyesight. Worried about needing strong reading glasses

I have a very mild distance prescription with a small amount of astigmatism (right eye: -0.25 -0.5 ; left eye +0.25 -0.25 (I don't have the axis information for the cylinder with me). About a year ago I was having trouble with my near vision and was prescribed an add of +1.25. I got a pair of single vision reading glasses to use for the computer and near work. About 6 months ago I started having more trouble even with those for reading so went back to the optometrist and had to get a +2.5 pair of glasses for reading. The weaker ones were still okay for the computer. About 6 weeks ago I started having trouble again so I tried some cheap chemist reading glasses over the top of my +2.5 ones and found that I needed a total power of +3.5 to be able to read small print so I ordered a pair of +3.5 glasses online. Now that I have started using these, I need the +2.5 for the computer and can hardly function close up without glasses yet my distance vision seems to still be okay with the very original first distance script. I am worried about how rapidly my eyesight seems to be deteriorating and am wondering if this is normal and how much worse it is likely to get. Do I seem to have some kind of weird condition or is it likely that I am actually long sighted but my eyes haven't relaxed fully for me to need stronger + glasses for distance. I guess another reason why I am concerned is because I am only 35 yet I need such strong reading glasses.
Posted Wed, 22 Aug 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Mihir Shah 1 hour later

You may have a condition known as early onset presbyopia. Usually this condition starts by the age of 40 when one starts experiencing difficulty in reading small print.

In your case the presbyopia has set in early. The more plus power you use for your near work (includes reading and computer monitor viewing) the more your eyes adapt and relax. Eventually it may become difficult to do any kind of near work.

My advice to you is to get your eyes checked by a competent ophthalmologist so that he/she can give you the correct prescription. I think you will need at the most a power of +1.00 for near (based on your age).
Please stop wearing +3.50 glasses.

Hope I have answered your queries. I will be available to answer any further queries if you have any.

Best regards,
Dr.Mihir Shah
Follow-up: Rapidly deteriorating eyesight. Worried about needing strong reading glasses 17 minutes later
The problem is that I can't even focus on any near work, even at arms length with the +2.5 glasses so to be able to do any reading, etc I have to use the stronger +3.5 pair. For example, when I wear the +2.5 pair and try to write something, I cannot even see whereabouts on the page I have written, it is that bad. With the +3.5 pair the closest I can focus on size 12 font is 25cm. any closer and that also starts to go out of focus.
Answered by Dr. Mihir Shah 15 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
I understand your concern.But wearing such high power glasses is not going to solve the problem.I really think you should get your eyes checked by an ophthalmologist.

Best regards,
Dr.Mihir Shah