Rapid breathing problem. Lipid profile test, blood sugar and HB tests done. Due to hyperventilation?

Hello Sir, My Father is 55 year old and having problem of rapid breathing. Whenever he eats heavy meal,rapid breathing problems starts after few hours of that time. He feels very uncomfortable and very week mentally and physically after that.
I have already done his Lipid profile test, blood sugar and HB tests - Things are fine in all tests.
His HB level is 13. He has no problem in digesting the things, eats normally, sleeps normally.
This problem also starts during long travel or because of dust and pollution.

Initially we thought of hyperventilation and consulted Psychiatrists, he gave some anxiety medicines, but problem still persists.

Please suggest what should be done.
Posted Mon, 20 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 1 hour later
Dear Sir
Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX
I have following observation to make about your father's problem.

1. A postprandial (post meals) shortness of breath or feeling of uneasiness can be A. Postprandial distension B. Coronary/anginal heart disease C. Lung disorder

A. Simple postprandial distension can sometime be debilitating, it gives you a feeling of shortness of breath, something there on your chest, a big stomach and uneasiness. It usually relieves after burping/belching or after sitting for 1-2 hours. It may caused by acid-peptic disease (excessive acid formation) Disorders of gastric motility (movement of stomach) This is perpetuated by drinking water along with meals. I would suggest him not to drink water with meals or immediately after it.
B. Anginal heart disease can also manifest as postprandial discomfort and shortness of breath but usually this will come on walking after meals. The patient will have other problems too, like pain or heaviness of chest or shortness of breath coming on running/ exercise/ using stairs/ emotional stress/ lifting heavy weights.
C. Those people with seriously compromised lung functions with lung disease will have shortness of breath after heavy / full meals as the movement of diaphragm (partition between abdomen and lungs) decreases. Again, these people have symptoms of compromised lung functions and advanced lung disease.

I have seen his reports of blood sugar and lipids. They are within normal limits.
I would like you to see your physician to ascertain the reason especially the first possibility. If examination is non-contributory and he does not have any other significant problem, he may prescribe drugs for simple gastritis. Please do see that if his hemoglobin is stable and he does not drink water with meals.
Feel free to discuss further.
sukhvinder XXXXXXX