Raised white spot with dark red perimeter, on floor of mouth, left of the tongue frenulum, painless, no bleeding. Treatment ?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I have a raised white spot approx 3/16 of an inch wide with a darker red perimeter. It is located in the floor of the mouth to the left of the tongue frenulum. It is painless and it doesn't bleed. It's been there for 3 days with no apparent changes. I am a healthy 33 year old male. I do not smoke and I drink an alcoholic beverage less than once a week
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 52 minutes later

An oral mucosal lesion can be due to trauma, infection or inflammatory condition or a sign of nutritional deficiency or gastro intestinal problem or irritant dental pathology
After viewing your lesion in the photograph and considering your history, it seems most likely to be a benign mouth ulcer due to minor trauma or irritant pathology which is likely to resolve on its own in a few days, say a week more.The red periphery signifies increased blood supply as seen in a healing lesion.The white part is the dead tissue and is usually replaced with healthy pink mucosa after healing. It is painless, so less likely to be infectious and not likely to be cancerous as per your history.
For better healing, you should practice good oral hygiene, thrice daily warm saline gargles and eat less of acid generating foods like spicy oily foods, citrus fruits, vinegar etc.
You can take a multivitamin supplement containing vitamin c to help in healing.
But if by any chance, you notice any increase in size, or number, or pain or fever.Or if it persists more than three     to four weeks then you should consult a dermatologist or oral surgeon who can order few tests like microscopic examination of mucosal scraping and blood sugar,complete blood counts to arrive at a confirmed diagnosis and start appropriate treatment.
Hope I have answered your query.
I wil be available for any follow up queries.