Raised veins on temple with throbbing headache. Suffering from Aerosinusitis

Had aerosinusitis on aeroplane yesterday, headache/throbbing is starting to wear off now but i noticed that my veins on my temple seem a little bit raised, should i be worried, this is the area that had the sharp pain when the plane was decending.
Posted Fri, 6 Jul 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 5 hours later

Thanks for writing in.
I am a medical specialist with an additional degree in cardiology. I read your medical details with diligence.
Persons presenting before flight with an upper respiratory infection are at risk for aerosinusitis. Prophylaxis of this condition consists of an oral decongestant before flight and nasal decongestant spray during the flight just prior to descent. Evaluation of the patient presenting with aerosinusitis consists of a careful physical exam with emphasis on diagnosing treatable nasal and sinus pathology. Even now when symptoms have abated, nonetheless I would suggest you to consult a doctor for exclusion of pre existing disease.

Coming to specific questions about prominent veins. the answer is emphatic NO cause for worry. Veins drain the blood from peri sinus areas and due to congestion within sinuses drainage had been impaired it is now settling down.

If thee are any further questions I will be most happy to answer.

Best Wishes

Dr Anil Grover
MBBS, MD(Medicine) DM(Cardiology)
Follow-up: Raised veins on temple with throbbing headache. Suffering from Aerosinusitis 9 hours later
Thanks for your help, everything seems to be getting back to normal now, just needed my mind put to rest, seen doctor early today and been given a prescription for Amoxicillin only to be used if I develop cold/flu type symptoms which hasn't happened yet, really scary experience to go through, seemed like something had exploded in my head.
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 40 minutes later

Thanks for writing.
Glad you are recovering.
Yes, something did explode in your head. Due to mild infection and air travel your Eustachian Tube connection between middle ear and throat was closed. When aircraft ascends air pressure in middle ear is more and reverse is true when aircraft descends. To maintain comfort pressure in the pharynx which is equal to pressure in aircraft cabin. Air in middle ear has to build up pressure to make both chambers of same pressure. It popped open the Eustachian Tube. So, your description is quite appropriate.
Scary experience, good story to tell your grand children when scare would have long gone away.

If there is no more question, please close the question with comments.

Best Wishes

Dr Anil Grover